The Monterey Zoo is home to more than 100 exotic animals ranging from African Elephants to Zebras and everything in between. The mission of the Monterey Zoological Society is to provide exemplary animal care, while staying dedicated to providing an entertaining, yet educational, experience which fosters public awareness and respect for all wildlife. In June 2020, The Monterey Zoo was awarded its accreditation by the Zoological Assoc. of America. Now that is a tribute to all who worked so hard to build the zoo!
Depending on how much you choose to see or do during your visit, you could spend anywhere from 2 hours to a full day exploring the zoo and/or taking one of their tours. The zoo offers tours lasting from 30 minutes up to a full day. They have an impressive list of exhibits with a wide range of animals…something for everyone to enjoy!
Their existing exhibits include:
- Big Cats – African Lions, Bengal Tigers, and two varieties of African Spotted Leopards
- Small Cats – Cougars, Caracals, Siberian Lynx, and Servals
- Black Bears
- African Elephants
- Hoofed and Toed Animals – Zebra, Zedonk, Camels, Alpacas, Warthogs, Donkeys, and Zebus
- Birds – Parrots, Birds of Prey (Hawks, Eagles, Owls), Vultures, Crows, Ravens, and African Pied Crows.
- Reptiles, Amphibians, and Insects – Snakes, Alligators, Lizards, Turtles, Tortoises, Spiders, and Cockroaches
- Primates – Lemurs, Capuchin Monkeys, Squirrel Monkeys, and Baboons
- Fascinating Mammals – Ferrets, Badgers, Sloths, Porcupines, Kangaroos, Wallabys, Spotted Hyena, Kinkajou, Coati, Opossum, Sugar Glider, Cavy, Muntjac, Fennec Fox, Binturong, and Skunk.
The Monterey Zoo is open from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM seven days a week, with the exception of Easter, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day when they are closed.
Daily Admission is $35 for ages 15 and older, $25 for ages 2 through 14, and free for children under the age of 2 ($8 stroller fee). They also offer annual passes for a $75 annual fee. Seniors (60+), active military, active police and fire personnel, and students get 10% off annual passes.
Monterey Zoo is located approximately 18 miles (25 minutes) from DeAnza Inn.
To learn more about the Monterey Zoo, visit their official website at https://montereyzoo.org/